Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make White Chicken Posole:
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 lb), chopped into smaller chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red onion, halved
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- One large can (6 lb 9 oz) hominy, drained and washed
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and chopped
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- ¼ whole cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tomato , cored and chopped
- 3-4 small red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch watercress, chopped
- 2-3 chile peppers, stemmed, deseeded and chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla chips
Cooking instructions for White Chicken Posole:
- Toss the chicken chunks in a large pot and pour in 3 quarts of water until the chicken is completely immersed in it.
- Drop in the onion halves, along with a tsp of salt and heat the mixture until it starts boiling.
- Reduce it to a simmer over and continue to do so, uncovered, for about half an hour or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Drain the chicken out of the pot into a bowl and set aside until they pieces are cool enough to handle.
- Separate the flesh from the bones, using a fork and set the shredded meat in a bowl.
- Toss the bones back into the simmering broth and continue to cook, uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Empty 4 cups of the drained hominy into a food processor, along with a couple of cups hot broth from the pot.
- Drop in the whole garlic cloves into processor, fasten the lid and pulse them into s smooth puree.
- Scoop out the excess fat as well as any foam on top of the simmering broth and discard the bones.
- Tip the hominy puree into the broth, followed rest of the whole hominy as well as dried oregano and stir them all together until well combined.
- Cook the stew for about 20 minutes, stirring at times, and stir in the shredded meat just before turning off the heat.
- Adjust the seasonings and ladle it into serving bowls.
- Top it up with the garnishes and serve alongside tortilla chips.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons