Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Queso Fundido:
- 8 oz fresh Mexican chorizo, casings peeled off
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 fresh poblano chile, stemmed, deseeded and finely diced
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Mexican-style hot sauce, for serving
- ¼ tsp kosher salt to taste
Cooking instructions for Queso Fundido:
- Warm up your outdoor grill to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on its rack for about 5 minutes until the skillet sizzles when a drop of water is splashed on it.
- Throw in the chorizo meat, place a lid on top of the grill and grill for about 5-8 minutes, while crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon and stirring it at times, until the meat browns.
- Toss the onion as well as chile into it and stir them all together to mix well; place the lid back on and sauté further for another 8 minutes, until they caramelize slightly.
- Crack the eggs in a medium mixing bowl and whisk them thoroughly, along with a dash of salt, until the yolks break and blend into a pale yellow mixture.
- Pour this whisked egg all over the sautéed veggies and allow to cook for half a minute without agitating it a bit.
- Now, stir them all together and spread it across the skillet evenly into a single layer.
- Top it up with a layer of both kinds of cheese and place the lid on top of the grill.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the cheese melts and gives out bubbles.
- Scatter the sliced scallions on top and drizzle a dash of hot sauce over them.
- Serve right away with tortilla chips.
- Dip, munch and enjoy!
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons