Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 hours
Ingredients needed to make Pollo En Crema Con Chipotles:
- 6 chicken breasts, bone in
- Handful of mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 large roma tomato, diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, stemmed, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, stemmed, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped into ½’’ slices
- ¼ cup chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
Cooking instructions for Pollo En Crema Con Chipotles:
- Fill water in a 5 quart slow cooker and stir in a tsp of salt until it dissolves.
- Lower the chicken breasts into it and fasten the lid on top.
- Set the timer to 4 hours and cook at low.
- Remove the lid after a couple of hours of cooking and flip the chicken over.
- Place the lid back on and cook until the meat is just cooked.
- Drain them out onto a chopping board and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the bones from the chicken and chop into somewhat large chunks.
- Drop them back into the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Drizzle oil in a large skillet and heat over moderate flame until it starts shimmering.
- Throw in the veggies, mushrooms, chiles as well as chipotles and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until they soften.
- Sprinkle rest of the measured salt as well as a dash of black pepper and reduce it to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until the veggies are cooked through and whisk in the cream until well combined.
- Pour this sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker and give it a nice stir to mix well.
- Place a lid on top and slow cook for an hour at low temperature setting.
- Remove the lid and taste to adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons