Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Oysters in Black Bean Sauce:
- 1 ½ kg mussels
- 6 green onions
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sugar
- 100 ml water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 50 ml black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
Cooking instructions for Oysters in Black Bean Sauce:
- Wash the oysters under running cold water while scrubbing them to get rid of beards.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Drop in the cleaned oysters, place a lid on top and boil for about 5 minutes or until the shells snap open.
- Tip them into a large colander to drain and throw away the closed shells.
- Cover and keep them aside until necessary.
- Drizzle oil in a wok and heat it over moderate flame.
- Throw in the garlic, onions, ginger as well as chilies and sauté for a couple of minutes, stirring often, until they give out a pleasant aroma.
- Stir in the black bean sauce, followed by a splash of fish sauce and pour in water.
- Sprinkle sugar over the mixture and give it a nice stir to mix well.
- Lower the oysters into the simmering sauce and put a lid on.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring at times, until warmed through.
- Fold in the chopped cilantro until they are distributed evenly throughout the sauce and tip the mixture into a wide, shallow dish.
- Serve right away with fresh salad.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons