Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Grilled Chicken with Chipotle-Nectarine Sauce:
For the chicken:
- 3 lb boneless chicken breasts, skinned
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sea salt
For the sauce:
- 6 ripe firm nectarines, pitted and diced
- 1 medium chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Grilled Chicken with Chipotle-Nectarine Sauce:
- To grill the chicken, blend the seasonings together and set them aside in a bowl.
- Slice each chicken breast crosswise and blot dry with paper towels.
- Arrange them on a baking sheet and rub the seasoning blend all over them.
- Leave in the fridge, uncovered, overnight, to marinate.
- To make the sauce, drizzle oil in a medium skillet and heat it over moderate heat until it shimmers.
- Throw in the chipotle, onions as well as garlic and season with a dash of seasonings.
- Stir fry for about 5 minutes or until the onions soften and stir in ketchup until well coated.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring at times, until the sauce darkens slightly and stir in rest of the ingredients until well combined.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce turns bubbly and reduce it to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring at times, until the nectarines soften and break down.
- Tip the mixture into a blender and pulse it into a smooth puree.
- Adjust the seasonings if required and set aside.
- After the marinating time is over, let it rest at room temperature for half an hour.
- Warm up your outdoor grill over moderately hot charcoal fire.
- Grease the grill grate with small lashing of oil and arrange the chicken breasts over it, with their sin side facing down.
- Grill for about 5 minutes or until their bottom sides are seared and turn them over.
- Place a lid on top of the grill and cook for another 5 minutes or until the other side is seared too.
- Flip them over again and smother the chicken with some amount of the sauce.
- Place the lid back on and grill for about 5 minutes.
- Flip it over and brush the sauce on their other side.
- Repeat the process every 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat rises to 165 degrees F, as indicated by an instant-read thermometer; it should take about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken onto serving platter and serve alongside a bowl with remaining chipotle-nectarine sauce.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons