Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Ingredients needed to make Arroz Verde:
- 1 serrano pepper, stemmed, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, stemmed, deseeded and roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 medium scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 medium lime, halved
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetables oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Cooking instructions for Arroz Verde:
- Dump both kinds of peppers, cilantro, parsley as well as scallions into a blender and sprinkle the measured salt over them.
- Add a splash of water, cover and blitz them into a smooth, thick puree; set aside.
- Add a dollop of butter onto a large skillet and drizzle oil into it.
- Heat them over moderately high flame until the butter melts enough to foam and empty the cups of rice into it.
- Sauté for several minutes, while stirring well to grease each rice grain with the melted butter-oil blend.
- Continue to cook for next 3 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the rice turn golden slightly and becomes fragrant.
- Pour in the prepared puree and stir them all together to coat well.
- Cook until the mixture starts bubbling and pour in the chicken broth.
- Give them a nice stir and bring the mixture back to a simmer at slow flame.
- Place a lid on top and cook for 14 minutes, until the cooking liquid is absorbed by the rice to become soft yet firm.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 minute with the lid still on.
- Remove the lid and squeeze out the fresh juice from the lime halves.
- Stir it into the rice to mix well and spoon the rice into serving plates.
- Serve warm alongside grilled food.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons