Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Ojingeo Sundae:
- 4 squids, cleaned
- 4 tsp plain flour
For the stuffing:
- ½ cup ground beef
- ½ cup firm tofu, finely chopped
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 garlic chives stems, finely diced
- ½ red chili, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped into small dices
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and chopped into small diced
For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Cooking instructions for Ojingeo Sundae:
- Remove the tentacles and innards from the squid and get rid of the innards.
- Chop the tentacles into smaller chunks and set aside.
- Peel off the skin and chop off the cartilage from within the body of the squids.
- Rinse them under cold running water and dab with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Dip the mushrooms in warm water and set aside for half an hour to soak until they soften.
- Drain them out, chop off the stems and cut into small chunks; toss them into a bowl and set aside.
- Give the tofu a nice squeeze to remove any excess moisture in it and transfer it into the above bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients of the filling into the same bowl and stir them all together until mixed properly.
- Throw in the chopped tentacles and give them a nice stir until fully incorporated evenly.
- Place a steamer basket in a larger saucepan with boiling water and fill the pan with water.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Spoon in a tsp of flour into the body tube of each squid and give them a nice shake to coat their interiors, thus ensuring that the filling won’t come out while cooking.
- Stuff each of them with enough filling, so that 2/3 of it remains full and seal the open ends using a toothpick to secure.
- Lay them out onto a heatproof plate and lower it carefully into the steamer.
- Close the lid and steam them for 10 minutes or until the flesh of the squids turn opaque and white, thus indicating that they are cooked properly.
- Remove the plate with squids from the steamer and set aside for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the squids into thick slices and arrange them on serving plates.
- For the sauce, stir all its ingredients together until well combined and spoon it over the steamed squids.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons