Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Mirin Glazed Sea Bass:
For the rice:
- 7 oz jasmine rice
- 2 lemon grass stalks, bruised with a knife
- 1 can (14 fl oz) coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the sea bass:
- 4 sea bass fillets, 7 oz each
- 1 tbsp Asian red curry paste
- 4 fl oz mirin
- 9 fl oz coconut milk
- Knob of butter
- Vegetable oil, as required
- 4 bok choy
- Juice of a lime
- Vegetable stock, as required
- Few cilantro sprigs
Cooking instructions for Mirin Glazed Sea Bass:
- To cook the rice, place it in a saucepan and pour the coconut milk over it.
- Throw in the lemon grass stalks, along with a dash each of salt and black pepper and give them a good stir to mix well.
- Heat the mixture until it starts boiling and splash some water into the mixture.
- Continue to cook it for about 10-12 minutes and remove from heat; put a lid on and set aside.
- Pour the curry paste into a heavy bottomed skillet and stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, stir and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil over the sea bass fillets and sprinkle the black pepper as well as salt on them.
- Rub the oil and seasonings all over the fillets and place them in a clean skillet, with the skin side facing down.
- Sear the fish for a couple of minutes and flip them over to cook the other side for another minute.
- Add a splodge of butter to the skillet and heat it until it melts.
- Coat the fillets with the melted butter and remove form heat; set aside.
- Add the bok choy into a stockpot and pour in vegetable stock until the former is immersed.
- Simmer the mixture for a couple of minutes to blanch the bok choy and remove from heat.
- Fill a cup with rice and press them firmly to level the surface.
- Flip it onto serving plate to demold and border the bed of rice with the blanched bok choy.
- Pat dry a fish fillet with paper towel and paint it with mirin.
- Place it on top of the bed of rice and spoon the curry sauce over it; arrange rest of the serving plates in a similar fashion.
- Add a splash of lemon juice over each serving and top with cilantro leaves.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons