Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
Ingredients needed to make Asian Steamed Fish:
- 2 thick sea bass fillets, 200 gm each
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- Zest and fresh juice of a lime
- 2 lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 1 small tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 egg white
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- Handful of fresh cilantro, leaves picked and stalks set aside.
- 1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 1 small wineglass sake
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Cooking instructions for Asian Steamed Fish:
- Place a baking tray at the middle rack of an oven and preheat it to 425 degrees F.
- Cut out two 1 m of aluminum foil and fold each of them in half twice.
- Smash the lime leaves in a mortar and pestle and throw in the chopped lemongrass stalks.
- Bash further for another couple of minutes or until all the flavours ooze out and add the chili, cilantro stalks as well as the garlic.
- Pound them further into a smooth pulp and whisk in a splash of lime juice, soy sauce and a drizzling of olive oil.
- Adjust the seasonings, using soy sauce and set aside.
- Make shallow slashes across the surface of the fish fillets and rub the bashed pulp all over their surface.
- Set aside for an hour to marinate.
- Beat the egg white slightly and brush it all over the folded foil edges.
- Place each marinated fillet within the folded foil, with their flesh-side facing down and drizzle the marinade onto them.
- Stuff some cilantro stalks within the cuts on the surface of each fillet and then fold each foil over, and pressing the open edges together and bend them to seal firmly; leave a couple of inches free around the fish it allow the heat to circulate.
- Place the foiled fish on the preheated baking tray and steam for about 12 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven and set aside for a couple of minutes or so to rest.
- Remove the foil and transfer the fish carefully onto serving plates.
- Drizzle the cooking liquid all over them and serve alongside steamed rice or noodles.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons