Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Ingredients needed to make Uova da Raviolo:
For the pasta dough:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
For the ravioli:
- ½ cup fresh spinach, blanched, drained and chopped
- 7 fresh eggs
- ½ cup whole milk ricotta
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- ½ small black truffle, shaved
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Uova da Raviolo:
- To make the pasta dough, place 3 ½ cups of the flour in a bowl and crack the eggs into it.
- Drizzle olive oil over them and stir them all together until they blend thoroughly to form a smooth dough.
- Dust rest of the flour over the dough and knead them together until properly incorporated into the latter.
- Continue to knead the dough until it turns pliant and dust more flour on the surface before working with your hands for another 6 minutes.
- Wrap the slightly sticky dough with a cling film and set aside for half an hour at room temperature.
- Place both kinds of cheese in a bowl, along with spinach and ½ of the shaved truffle.
- Sprinkle a dash of seasonings as well as ground nutmeg over them and stir them all together to mix well; set aside.
- Roll the pasta dough into a thinnest possible sheet using a pasta maker and carve out twelve 6’ wide rounds.
- Arrange 6 of them on a floured baking tray and cover loosely with a plastic sheet; set aside.
- Spoon in small portion of the cheese mixture onto the middle of remaining dough circles and make a small well at the centre using the back of a spoon.
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl, one at a time, and separate the yolks from the whites.
- Place one egg yolk within each well and place one unfilled dough round on top.
- Pinch the ends together to seal and set aside.
- Boil salted water in a large pot and lower the ravioli carefully into the boiling water.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and drain them out carefully, using slotted spoon , onto serving plates.
- Drizzle rest of the melted butter over the ravioli and sprinkle remaining truffle shaving and extra parmesan cheese gratings on top.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons