Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pappardelle With Sausages:
- 400 gm sausages
- 1 jar (700 ml) passata
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 small dried red chili
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 250 ml white wine
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lashing of extra virgin olive oil
- Olive oil, as required
For the pasta:
- 400 gm “OO” Tipo flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt to taste
Cooking instructions for Pappardelle With Sausages:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel off the skin of sausages and crumble the meat into an ovenproof skillet.
- Drizzle some olive oil into it and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until they turn crispy golden brown.
- Stir in the chopped fennel as well as the seeds into it, followed by a dash of crushed dried chili.
- Throw in the chopped herb and stir them well together to cook for about 10 minutes or until the fennels turn tender.
- Empty the jar of passata into the mixture, followed by a splash of wine, and finally pour in 400 ml water.
- Stir them again to mix well and place a lid on top.
- Place it in the oven and cook for a couple of hours, stirring it every 40 minutes, along with a few tbsp of water in case it tends to appear dry.
- Meanwhile, to make the pasta, place the flour in a food processor and crack the eggs into it.
- Add a dash of salt into it and pulse until they blend together to form a smooth dough.
- Pass the dough through a pasta machine and split it into 6 pasta strips.
- Roll out each strip with the help of rolling pin, into a sheet with the thickness of that of a playing card and slice it into 2.5 cm bits, using a pappardelle cutter.
- Sprinkle some flour over the pasta pieces and toss them together to separate them out.
- Boil salted water in a pot and drop in the pasta.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and drain it out in a colander; set a cup of cooking liquid aside.
- Place the pasta in a bowl and spoon in the sausage mixture.
- Toss them together until well coated with the sauce and add a splash of cooking liquid in case it appears too dry.
- Pile them up onto serving plates and sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Finish it off with a lashing of extra virgin olive oil and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons