Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Beef Carpaccio:
- One beef fillet, weighing 500 gm
- 250 gm mixed beans, trimmed
- Several fresh thyme sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil, as required
For the marinade:
- 1 ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Handful of assorted fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, yellow inner celery, chervil)
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, as required
Cooking instructions for Beef Carpaccio:
- Fill a large pot with water and stir in a dash of salt.
- Toss the beans into the water and bring it to a boil.
- Cook likewise for about 5 minutes and strain them out in a colander.
- For the marinade, toss the chopped onion and herbs together and add a splash of vinegar into it, followed by the mustard.
- Add a lashing of extra virgin olive oil, followed by a dash of seasonings and throw in the cooked beans.
- Toss them thoroughly until well combined and set aside to let the beans cool and seep in the marinade flavours.
- Spread the beef fillet across a chopping board and sprinkle a dash of salt as well as fair amount of pepper all over it.
- Blanch the thyme sprigs in hot water for few seconds and drain it out using a slotted spoon.
- Pick the leaves from the sprigs and chop them into coarse bits.
- Sprinkle it over the meat and press them with your palm so that the herbs as well as the seasonings stick to the fillet.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and add a lashing of oil on it.
- Place the seasoned beef fillet on top and sear for a minute before flipping it over to cook the other side for few more seconds.
- Cook the meat while turning it over every few seconds to sear it evenly.
- Transfer it to a plate and set aside for a minute to rest.
- Carve out slices from the fillet, using a sharp knife and spread each slice across a chopping board.
- Flatten them out by pressing with the side of a knife and arrange them on serving plates.
- Top each serving with the bean salad and drizzle the marinade over it.
- Serve immediately.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons