Preparation time: 4 mins
Cooking time: 16 mins
Ingredients needed to make Telor Besengek:
- 6 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 7 fl oz coconut milk
- 7 fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Indonesian shrimp paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Telor Besengek:
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil and lower the eggs gently into it.
- Cook them for about 5 minutes to stop them from becoming hard-boiled and cool them under cold running water.
- Peel off their shells and set aside.
- Toss the garlic, lemongrass, onion, shrimp paste, sambal, sugar and spices into a mortar and pound them with a pestle into a smooth paste.
- Drizzle some oil in a wok and heat it over moderate heat until it shimmers.
- Add the above paste into it and stir fry for a couple of minutes or until it turns fragrant.
- Pour in the stock, followed by the coconut milk and whisk them all together until well combined.
- Drop the eggs into the simmering sauce and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings if necessary and continue to cook for another half a minute.
- Tip it into a serving bowl and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons