Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Kadhai Mushroom Masala:
- 1 cup button mushrooms, cleaned, stem trimmed and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, top chopped off, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 red chili
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 small red tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp vegetable oil
Cooking instructions for Kadhai Mushroom Masala:
- Drizzle a lashing of oil in a saucepan and heat it over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Throw in the cumin seeds and fry, stirring often, until it splutters.
- Toss the red chilli into it and continue to stir fry for another minute.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste as well as onions and sauté further for 5-6 minutes or until they just begin to caramelize.
- Add the bell pepper chunks and sauté briefly until it softens slightly yet retain a pleasant crunch.
- Spoon in the tomato puree, and give it a nice stir to coat well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the raw smell disappears.
- Sprinkle the ground spices as well as a dash of salt into the mixture, stir to mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add a splash of water to thin it out a little and stir in the mushrooms until well combined.
- Bring it to a simmer and cover with a lid before continuing to cook for another 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms turn tender and cooked through.
- Remove the lid and simmer further for another couple of minutes to soften the mushrooms further.
- Sprinkle the dried fenugreek leaves as well as the cilantro into the curry and fold them into the mixture until they are distributed evenly.
- Remove from heat and pour it into a serving bowl.
- Serve hot alongside parathas or steamed rice.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons