Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Ingredients needed to make Gujrati Undhiyo:
For the spicy sauce:
- 3 oz grated coconut, plus more for garnishing
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts, ground
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1’’ fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 small green chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, leaves picked and finely chopped
- ¾ tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the curried veggies:
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into 1’’ round slices
- 2 handfuls broad beans
- 4 small eggplants, trimmed and sliced longitudinally
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped into 1 ½’’ chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1 ½’’ chunks
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 7 fl oz water
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
Cooking instructions for Gujrati Undhiyo:
- To prepare the sauce, toss the garlic, ginger and green chilies into a blender, along with a splash of fresh lemon juice and pulse them into a smooth paste.
- Throw in the chopped cilantro leaves and blitz further for few seconds, until it is incorporated into the mixture but doesn’t get pureed itself.
- Stir in rest of the sauce ingredients until well combined and set aside.
- To make the curried veggies, drizzle oil in a large skillet and heat it over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Throw in the asafoetida and sauté for half a minute, stirring all the time, until it gives out its characteristic aroma.
- Add the mustard seeds and sauté for another half a minute, stirring often, until it begins to splutter.
- Add the potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes as well as eggplants into the skillet and sauté them for about 3-4 minutes, stirring them at times, until the veggies turn golden brown in colour.
- Spoon in the spicy sauce and give it a good stir until they coat the veggies evenly.
- Add a splash of water and bring the curry to a boil.
- Place a lid on top and reduce it to a simmer for about half an hour, agitating the veggies from time to time.
- Once they are cooked through, stir in the bread beans, put the lid back on and cook for another couple of minutes or until heated through.
- Tip the mixture into a large serving bowl and sprinkle more chopped cilantro on top.
- Top it up with grated coconut and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons