Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Green Beans Spaetzle Stir-Fried Brussel Sprouts:
- 2 lb green beans, trimmed and sliced into 1 ½’’ pieces
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 6 quarts water
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, plus more for serving
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the stir-fried brussel sprouts:
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 chili, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1’’ fresh ginger root, julienned
Cooking instructions for Green Beans Spaetzle Stir-Fried Brussel Sprouts:
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in the parsley, nutmeg, salt and fair amount of black pepper.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk them well, along with milk and 5 tbsp of oil, until they blend thoroughly into a smooth mixture.
- Pour it into the dry mixture and fold them together into a uniform batter, free of lumps.
- Fill a large pot with water, add a dash of salt and bring it to a boil.
- Pass the a portion of the above mixture through a potato ricer, equipped with a 1/8’’ hole blade, into the boiling water.
- Cook the spaetzle or tiny dumplings briefly for half a minute or until they pops up of the surface of water.
- Drain it out using a slotted spoon into a colander and set aside; makes rest of the spaetzle in a similar fashion until all of the batter it used up.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp of the oil in a large , nonstick, frying pan and heat it over fairly high heat.
- Throw in the beans and sauté for few minutes, while stirring often, until they soften.
- Toss in the spaetzle, along with a dash of salt and black pepper to season and stir them well together to mix properly.
- Cook the mixture until it is heated through and spoon it into serving plates; keep warm on a hot plate.
- Steam the sprouts in boiling salted water for a couple of minutes; drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and throw in the ginger, garlic and chili.
- Stir fry for a minute and add the sprouts into it.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes and add a dash of Worcestershire sauce to it.
- Toss them all together to coat well with the sauce and remove from heat.
- Top each serving with finely chopped parsley and serve right away, alongside stir-fried Brussels sprouts.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons