Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 ½ hours
Ingredients needed to make German Pork Stew With Pickled Cucumber:
For the stew:
- 4 lb pork steak, diced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 ½ oz lard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the pickle:
- 1 whole cucumber, peeled
- 2 fl oz red wine vinegar
- 4 stem ginger in sugar syrup, thinly sliced
- 3’’ fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 oz sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Cooking instructions for German Pork Stew With Pickled Cucumber:
- To make the pickled cucumber, peel the cucumber into thin ribbons and place them in a large bowl.
- Season it with salt and toss well to mix; set aside for about 10 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Transfer it to a colander to drain off any excess liquid and return it to the bowl.
- Toss the vinegar, gingers and sugar together and stir it into the cucumber.
- Toss further to mix well and transfer it to an air-tight container.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight and use when required.
- To make the stew, add the lard in a frying pan, equipped with a lid, and melt it over moderate heat.
- Throw in the onions and saute them for about 5 minutes, or until they soften, while stirring often.
- Sprinkle the paprika over them and give it a nice stir to mix.
- Dump the pork cubes into the pan, along with a splash of water and stir them all together to mix well.
- Reduce the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer; continue to do so for about 5 minutes.
- Pour boiling water into the mixture, so that the meat remains submerged in it.
- Continue to cook the mixture until it begins to boil and stir in the tomatoes as well as the green pepper slices.
- Whisk in the tomato puree and sprinkle the salt as well as ground black pepper to taste.
- Place the lid on top and cook the mixture over slow flame for an hour or until the pork is cooked through.
- Add 2 tbsp of water into a small bowl and stir in cornflour until it dissolves and forms a smooth paste.
- Whisk it into the stew and bring it back to a boil until it thickens.
- Adjust the seasonings if required and cook for the last couple of minutes.
- Enjoy it with crusty bread and pickled cucumber.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons