Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Steamed Fish with Egg Fried Rice:
For the steamed fish:
- 4 thick white fish fillets, skin on and each of 4 oz
- 2 spring onions, halved crosswise and finely shredded
- Small handful fresh basil leaves shredded
- Thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, grated
- 1 tbsp orange zest, grated
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
For the egg fried rice:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp spring onions, finely chopped
- 14 fl oz jug filled with long grained rice, steamed and cooled to room temperature.
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Cooking instructions for Steamed Fish with Egg Fried Rice:
- To steam the fish, dab the fish with paper towels to blot dry and season all over with a dash of salt.
- Place it onto a heatproof plate and sprinkle the citrus zests as well as ginger over it.
- Place a rack into a deep-bottomed pan, equipped with a lid and fill it up with enough water so that it stands 2’’ from the base of the pan.
- Bring the water to a boil and reduce it to a simmer.
- Place the plate with fish on top of the rack and place the lid on.
- Steam the fish for 5 minutes or until the flesh turns opaque and flaky, thus indicating that it is just cooked.
- Remove the fish from the plate and skim off the cooking juices that have gathered around it.
- Sprinkle the spring onions and basil on top, followed by a splash of soy sauce on it.
- Heat a mixture of olive and peanut oil in a pan until it starts smoking and drizzle it over the fish.
- While the fish is steaming, start cooking the fried rice by whisking the eggs and sesame oil together, along with ½ of the measured salt until they are just combined.
- Heat a pan over high flame and drizzle the groundnut oil into it.
- Heat it until it is smoking hot and stir in the cooked rice.
- Stir fry it for 3-4 minutes or until the rice is warmed through and drizzle the egg-oil mixture over them.
- Continue to fry them for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, until the egg curdles and any liquid in the mixture is absorbed.
- Sprinkle rest of the salt plus black pepper into it, and stir them into the fried rice to season.
- Continue to cook for another 2 minutes and stir in the spring onions.
- Pile it up onto serving plates and place one steamed fish on top of each serving.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons