Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 4 ½ hours
Ingredients needed to make Ham Hock and Black Eyed Peas:
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, dried
- 2 lbs ham hocks, smoked
- 2 medium celery stalks, trimmed
- 1 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red chili pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooking instructions for Ham Hock and Black Eyed Peas:
- Dump the meat into a large stock pot and pour in water until it stands an inch above the ham.
- Continue to cook the mixture over high flame until it starts boiling and reduce it to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer over slow flame for 2 hours while keeping it covered partially, until the ham hocks are cooked enough to be easily pierced by a fork without offering resistance.
- Rinse the black-eyed peas under running water, until all of the starch and dirt is washed off.
- Drain them out into the pot with simmering stock and throw in the celery, onion as well as the chili.
- Sprinkle a dash of ground black pepper into it and give them a nice stir to mix properly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high flame and then bring it down to a simmer.
- Place a lid on top partially and continue to simmer gently for a couple of hours or until the peas turn soft yet not mushy; add few splashes of water into it in case it tends to dry up.
- Cook further until the peas are completely cooked and absorb most of the cooking liquid.
- Adjust the seasonings if necessary and spoon it into serving bowls.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons