Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Braised Duck:
- 3 lb ducks and giblets
- 8 oz bacon lardons
- 1 lb peas, podded
- 4 oz leeks, diced
- 4 oz carrots, diced
- 1 lettuce, shredded
- 8 oz small button onions
- 1 ¾ pints chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 5 oz butter
- Salt to taste
Cooking instructions for Braised Duck:
- Warm up your oven to 300 degrees F.
- Toss the giblets into a saucepan and pour in the stock to simmer them for half an hour over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, place a large ovenproof casserole on the hob and heat it up.
- Melt 1 oz of butter in the hot dish and throw in the bacon lardons.
- Stir fry them for a couple of minutes and stir in the butter onions.
- Sauté them further for another 3 minutes or until they caramelize.
- Drain them out into a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Poke the ducks with the tip of a sharp knife at several places and rub a dash of salt all over them.
- Dump the meat into the hot casserole with bacon drippings and sauté them for a while, until they are browned evenly.
- Skim off any fat from the casserole and pour in the prepared stock through the fine mesh strainer.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and place a lid on top before popping the casserole into the oven.
- Braise the meat for an hour and scatter the sautéed bacon-butter onion mixture into it.
- Let it stand in a warm spot for a while so any excess fat accumulates on the surface of the dish and skim it off.
- Place dish again on the stovetop and bring it back to a boil.
- Stir in the peas, herbs as well as shredded lettuce into the gravy and bring it to a simmer.
- Continue to cook likewise until the liquid reduces to 1/3 its original volume.
- Throw in rest of the softened butter and whisk it into the mixture until well combined.
- Adjust the seasonings and drain the ducks out onto a chopping board; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Cut them into semi-thin slices and arrange them on a large serving platter.
- Drizzle the sauce over them and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons