Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Ingredients needed to make spinach frittata with cilantro chile sauce:
For the frittata:
- 9 large eggs
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the cilantro-chile sauce:
- 1 serrano (green) chile, seeded and stemmed
- Large handfuls of fresh cilantro, about a small bunch
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed out lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Cooking instructions for spinach frittata with cilantro chile sauce:
- Warm up your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour ¼ cup water into a small saucepan and cook the spinach in it, covered, for a couple of minutes or until they wilt; drain and keep it aside.
- Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl and add a splash of milk to it.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top and whisk them together into an even mixture.
- Stir in the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and season with a dash of salt as well as black pepper; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a non-sticky, oven-proof skillet and throw in the onions.
- Saute the onions over moderate heat for about 4-5 minutes or until they turn translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and continue to saute the mixture for another minute.
- Throw in the cooked spinach and stir them all together to distribute the ingredients uniformly throughout the mixture.
- Spread it in a single layer across the skillet and pour the whisked egg mixture over it.
- Lift the edges of the spinach mixture along the sides of the pan, with a spatula, so that some of the whisked egg can flow underneath.
- Crumble some goat cheese on top of the cooking frittata and cook until it is partially cooked.
- Put the skillet into the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the frittata puffs up and turns golden brown.
- Take it out of the oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- While the frittata cools, prepare the sauce by adding all its ingredients into a blender.
- Pulse them into a smooth puree and adjust the seasonings as necessary; set aside.
- Once the frittata is ready, run a spatula or a sharp knife along its sides to free them from the skillet and invert on a serving plate.
- Slice into wedges and serve hot along side the cilantro-chile sauce.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons