Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 1 min
Ingredients needed to make Chaas:
- 2 cups fresh, plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- ½ tsp ginger-green chili paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro,, finely chopped
Cooking instructions for Chaas:
- Place the yogurt in a large, deep bowl and stir in the ground cumin, both kinds of salt, as well as ginger-chili paste until well combined into a smooth mixture.
- Empty 4 cups of cold water into it and beat it into the mixture to thin it out; set aside.
- Drizzle oil in a small skillet and heat it over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Throw the cumin seeds into the hot oil and stir fry briefly until they start popping.
- Stir in the asafoetida and tip it into the spiced yogurt.
- Divide it into four tall glasses and sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.
- Serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons