Preparation time:5 mins
Cooking time:10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Cha Yen:
For the sugar syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
For the cha yen:
- 1 ½ cups sugar syrup
- ¾ cup Thai tea
- 1 ½ cups half and half or evaporated milk
- 4 cups water
- Crushed ice
Cooking instructions for Cha Yen:
- To make the syrup, pour the water into a saucepan and stir in the sugar.
- Heat the mixture over high flame, stirring constantly, until it begins to boil vigorously.
- Reduce it to a simmer and continue to do so for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly, until the syrup thickens and the colour changes slightly.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest to cool completely.
- Transfer it into a jar and place a tight-fitting lid on top.
- Set aside in the fridge until necessary.
- To make the cha yen. Pour water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Spoon in the tea and turn off the heat immediately.
- Stir the tea into the mixture and let it rest for 3 minutes to steep.
- Pour the tea into a 1-quart pitcher and return it back into the saucepan.
- Continue this process for 7 times or until the tea becomes stronger and turns darker in colour.
- Pour the tea through a strainer, into a coffee filter and stir in the prepared syrup until they blend thoroughly.
- Set aside to cool completely, place a lid on top to secure and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours to chill.
- Fill half of each tall glass with crushed ice and pour in the chilled tea until ¾ of it is full.
- Pour 4 tbsp of half and half on top of each tall glass and serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons