Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Kashmiri Noon (Salty) Chai Tea:
- 2 tsp pure green tea leaves
- 2-3 green cardamom pods, seeds removed and crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground pistachios
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
Cooking instructions for Kashmiri Noon (Salty) Chai Tea:
- Pour ½ cup water in a medium saucepan and sprinkle 2 tsp tea into it.
- Bring it to a boil over moderate heat and stir in a dash of bicarbonate of soda until well combined.
- Beat the mixture briskly for 10 seconds and pour in the remaining water.
- Sprinkle the crushed cardamom seeds into it and bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Continue to boil the tea until it turns a vibrant shade of red and bring it down to a simmer over moderately low heat.
- Beat in the milk vigorously until well combined and the tea turns frothy slightly while it appears dark pink in colour.
- Stir in a dash of salt and strain it into a couple of cups.
- Sprinkle the ground nuts as well as poppy seeds on top of each cup to garnish.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons