Yields: 4 cups
Preparation time: over 2 hours
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Hot Cocoa Affogato:
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz) regular coconut milk
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Peppermint candies, to serve
Cooking instructions for Hot Cocoa Affogato:
- To make the peppermint ice cream, empty the cans of coconut milk into a medium bowl and beat in 1/2 cup honey and a splash each of both kinds of extracts into it until well combined.
- Tip the mixture into an ice cream machine and process them according to the instructions provided by its manufacturer until they turn creamy.
- Transfer it into a freeze-proof container, seal and leave in the freezer for a couple of hours to chill and set.
- Add rest of the honey, ground cinnamon and cocoa powder into a 2-cup measuring glass cup and pour in ¼ cup warm water.
- Stir them well together to mix properly without forming lumps and cook in and microwave oven briskly for 20 seconds or until heated through.
- Give the mixture another stir to mix well and beat in a splash of soy milk to temper.
- Whisk in rest of the soy milk until well combined and return the cup into the microwave oven to cook for 3 minutes or until it heats up; don’t let it boil.
- Add a large dollop of the peppermint ice cream into each glass and pour the hot cocoa over them until ¾ of the glass is full.
- Crush the peppermint candies and sprinkle over the hot cocoa to garnish.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons