Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Mint Julep:
For the mint syrup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup water
For the drink:
- 20 mint leaves
- 3 oz bourbon
- 2 tsp mint syrup
- Crushed ice
Cooking instructions for Mint Julep:
- To make the syrup, empty a cup of water into a small saucepan and stir in ½ cup sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the fresh mint leaves.
- Reduce it to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the sugar dissolves completely and blends into the mixture to form a thick syrup.
- Pour it into a small metal bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the minty flavours to infuse into the syrup.
- Allow to cool completely, cover and chill until necessary.
- To make the mint julep, toss the mint leaves into a glass and drizzle the chilled mint syrup them.
- Bash them together with a muddler for a couple of minutes to turn it into a fragrant mass.
- Add a splash of bourbon into it and give it a nice stir to mix well.
- Spoon in crushed ice to fill rest of the glass and give it another stir again.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons