Yields: 32 glasses
Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: –
Ingredients needed to make Smoky Punch:
For the ice block:
- 12 fresh mint sprigs
- 2 cups baby spinach
For the punch:
- 1 bottle ( 12.7 oz) Green Chartreuse, chilled
- 3 cups gin, chilled
- 2 bottles (750 ml) sparkling apple cider, chilled
- ½ tsp angostura bitters
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups fresh lemon juice, chilled
- 1 bottle (1 litre) club soda, chilled
- 1 small dry ice block, broken into 2’’ chunks
Cooking instructions for Smoky Punch:
- Pour water in a small saucepan, leaving 1/3 of it empty.
- Squish the spinach with your palms until they turn limp and throw them into the saucepan.
- Wrap a plastic sheet around it tightly and insert the mint sprigs into it so that they stay erect within the pan.
- Freeze them overnight until they turn solid.
- To make the punch, pour the Chartreuse, gin, bitters as well as a splash of lemon juice into a 5 quart plastic bowl and stir them all together until well combined.
- Place this bowl within a larger 10 quart plastic bowl and whisk in splashes of club soda plus apple juice until they blend thoroughly into the punch.
- Peel off the plastic sheet from the ice block and place the saucepan in a large, shallow bowl with hot water to separate loosen up the block.
- Plop the ice block carefully into the punch, without spilling the latter out and fill the outer bowl with water.
- Drop a couple of dry ice chunks into the water, using tongs, for the smoky effect.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons