Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Lemon Grass Ice Cream And Pineapple Salsa:
For the ice cream:
- 2 lemon grass stems, chopped and bruised
- 8 fl oz whole milk
- 8 fl oz double cream
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
For the salsa:
- 1 tsp chopped mint
- 1 fresh pineapple
- Mint sprigs, for garnishing
Cooking instructions for Lemon Grass Ice Cream And Pineapple Salsa:
- Toss the chopped lemon grass into a bowl of cream and let it soak overnight.
- To make the ice cream, whisk the egg yolks, along with the sugar until the dissolves and blends into a pale, yellowish mixture.
- Pour the cream as well as the soaked lemon grass into a saucepan and stir in the milk.
- Heat the mixture until it starts boiling and pass it through a sieve to do away with the lemon grass bits.
- Fold it into the whisked egg mixture until well combined into custard and set aside until it cools down to room temperature.
- Transfer it to an ice cream maker and churn them according to the manufacturer’s instructions until they form a gooey, creamy mixture.
- Spoon it into an airtight container and freeze for a couple of hours.
- Return it back to the ice cream maker and churn them again in a similar fashion to break the ice crystals and make it even creamier.
- Freeze it back again in the container until it sets.
- While the ice cream sets, start preparing the salsa plus chips by peeling off the pineapple skin and core it out.
- Chop it into 8 thin slices and arrange them on a baking sheet, lined with sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake them in the oven at the lowest temperature setting for 3-4 hours or until they form crispy chips.
- Chop rest of the pineapple flesh into small cubes and them well together, along with mint and a splash of lime juice until well combined.
- Scoop out the ice-cream onto serving bowls and insert a pineapple chip into each scoop.
- Spoon the salsa over each and serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons