Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Ingredients needed to make Khao Niaow Ma Muang:
- 2 ripe mangoes, sliced
- 1 cup sticky rice
- 1 can thick coconut milk
- 4 tbsp palm sugar
- Water, for cooking the rice
- ¼ tsp salt
Cooking instructions for Khao Niaow Ma Muang:
- Place the rice in a bowl and soak it in a cup of water for half an hour or upt0 4 hours if possible.
- Pour in ¾ cup more water into the soaked rice, and empty ¼ can of the coconut milk into it.
- Add a tbsp of sugar, followed by ¼ tsp salt and stir them all together to mix thoroughly.
- Heat the mixture over moderate heat until it starts boiling.
- Place a lid partially on the pan to allow any steam to escape and cook over moderately low heat.
- Continue to simmer likewise for about 20 minutes or until the cooking liquid is absorbed by the sticky rice.
- Remove from heat and let it rest, covered, for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile to cook the sauce, pour rest of the coconut milk into a clean saucepan and heat it for about 5 minutes, over moderately low flame to make it hot but don’t let it boil.
- Stir in 3 tbsp of sugar until it dissolves completely and adjust the sweetness according to your liking.
- Spoon in portions of the cooked sticky rice into serving bowls and arrange the mango slices on top.
- Drizzle the sauce all over each serving.
- In case you are a fan of more coconut flavor, scoop out rice into a pot of sauce and cook, while breaking it into smaller lumps with a spatula.
- Stir in the mango slices and continue to cook until it is heated through.
- Spoon it into serving bowls and set aside until it cools down to room temperature.
- Serve at room temperature.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons