Yields: 1 dozen 2 ¾’’ rice cakes
Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Crispy Rice Cakes:
- 1 ½ cups raw Thai sticky rice
- 6 oz jaggery
- ½ cup watermelon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Cooking instructions for Crispy Rice Cakes:
- Soak the rice in enough water overnight and drain it out into a large pot.
- Pour water into it until the rice is completely immersed and cook to perfection.
- Drain it out into a shallow bowl and toss well along with watermelon juice and a dash of salt; set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Take portions of the cooked rice in your palms and shape it into round balls.
- Press each of them until they turn 2 ¾’’ wide and ¼’’ thick.
- Arrange them on top a baking sheet, lined previously with parchment paper and place in an oven.
- Cook at the lowest temperature setting in the oven to dry it up and set aside.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep skillet until it stands 3’’ from the base and heat it over moderate heat until it reaches 300 degrees F.
- Dip the dried rice cakes carefully into the hot oil, few at a time, and deep fry for a minute until the rice puffs up and the cake turn crispy golden brown.
- Drain them out onto paper towel to soak away excess oil and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, place the sugar as well as jaggery in a small pan, along with ¼ cup water and cook until the sugar melts and thickens into a caramel, while stirring the mixture constantly while it cooks.
- Arrange the rice cakes onto a serving platter and drizzle the sweet syrup over them until well coated.
- Set aside to let the syrup set and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons