Makes: 2 tablets, each of 500 gms
Preparation time: 30 mins + 3 days (inactive)
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make turron de alicante y jijona:
For the turron de jijona (soft nougat):
- 14 oz honey
- 7 oz sugar
- 10 oz almonds
- Freshly grated lemon zest, as required
- 1 egg white
- Dash of ground cinnmon
For the turron de alicante (hard nougat):
- 10 oz honey
- 22 oz toasted almonds
- 14 oz sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 4 drops aniseed extract
- 1 package wafers
Cooking instructions for turron de alicante y jijona:
To make turron de jijona:
- Spread the almonds in a lightly oiled baking sheet and toast them in the oven at 210 degrees F, until they are golden brown.
- Transfer the almonds in batches to a blender and grind them into fine powder.
- Whisk the egg white briskly until they form soft peaks and set aside.
- Pour honey into a frying pan and stir in the sugar.
- Heat the mixture over moderate heat while stirring it with a wooden spatula until the sugar dissolves and forms a thick syrup.
- Remove the syrup from heat and fold in the whisked egg white.
- Blend the mixture properly until it is free of any lumps and turns into a lighter tone; it will take about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon on the mixture and stir them well together along with the lemon zest.
- Add the ground almonds and stir well until it is distributed uniformly throughout the mixture.
- Line a container with parchment paper and pour the above mixture into it.
- Keep a weight on top of the container to keep it well pressed and start making the harder nougat.
- Set the nougat aside for few days until set.
To make turron de alicante:
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Stir sugar into a saucepan of sugar and heat it until the latter dissolves.
- Bring the mixture to boil and reduce to a simmer before continuing to cook it until it thickens into a semi-thick syrup.
- Pour honey into a separate saucepan and heat it before stirring into the syrup; the syrup should be removed from heat at this point.
- Chop the almonds and add a few drops of aniseed extract; toss well to mix.
- Stir it into the egg whites and pour in the syrup-honey mixture.
- Fold them into a uniform mixture and set aside.
- Line a square cake pan with parchment paper and arrange the wafers on the bottom.
- Pour the nougat mixture into the lined mold and level the surface with a spatula.
- Place a weight on top to press it firmly and set aside for a few days until set.
- Chop the nougats with a sharp knife into small squares and store them in an air-tight container.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons