Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Sacher Torte:
For the cake:
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 5 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
For the chocolate glaze:
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
Cooking instructions for Sacher Torte:
- For the cake, place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and let it rest for half an hour, without agitating it even once.
- Butter a 9’’ spring-form pan and dust it lightly with flour; set aside.
- Dump the chocolate chunks into a double boiler, along with a splodge of butter and melt the mixture over slow flame; set aside to cool completely
- Beat in the egg yolks as well as a splash of vanilla into the cooled melted chocolate until well combined and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer, set at high speed, until they form soft yet firm peaks.
- Beat in the sugar gradually until all of it is incorporated into the mixture to form stiff peaks.
- Fold 1/3 cup of it into the chocolate mixture until well combined, alternating with 1/3 of the dry mixture and repeat the process until both the whisked egg whites plus the dry ingredients are completely into the batter.
- Pour it into the pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for half an hour or until the cake is baked through.
- While the cakes bake, start preparing the glaze by melting a mixture of chocolate and butter in a saucepan over slow flame, while stirring frequently.
- Stir the corn syrup into the whipping cream and bring the mixture to a boil in a separate pan.
- Reduce it to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the heat and fold in the melted chocolate until well mixed; set aside to cool completely.
- Cool it on the wire rack for about 10 minutes, while its still in the pan and then flip it onto a plate.
- Cook the apricot preserves in a small skillet until they melt and pass it through a sieve to get a smooth puree; allow to cool to some extent.
- Slice the cake crosswise into two equal halves.
- Place the bottom layer on a serving plate and spread the apricot puree across it.
- Place the other half of the cake on top and drizzle the chocolate glaze over it to smother both its sides and surface.
- Set aside for an hour at room temperature to set.
- Slice and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons