Preparation time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pashka:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 cups small-curd cottage cheese, cream-style
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup almonds, blanched and finely chopped
- ½ cup mixed candied fruits, chopped
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
Cooking instructions for Pashka:
- Place the whipping cream in a heavy saucepan and whisk the egg yolks into it until well mixed,
- Stir in a dash of salt as well as sugar until most of the latter dissolves and cook the mixture over slow flame, while stirring it relentlessly for about 15 minutes or until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Place it onto a larger bowl with cold water and set aside until the mixture cools down.
- Meanwhile, empty 3 cups of cottage cheese into a blender, along with a couple of tbsp butter.
- Place a lid on top and blitz them at moderate speed until they blend into a smooth mixture.
- Scrape it out into a bowl and process rest of the butter and cheese together in a similar fashion.
- Beat the cooled custard once more until to smooth it out and pour it into the butter-cottage cheese mixture.
- Fold them together until they blend into a smooth, uniform mixture.
- Sprinkle the almonds as well as candied fruits into it and give them a nice stir until they are distributed evenly throughout the mixture.
- Spread a double layer of moist cheesecloth into a medium-sized, non-clay flower pot and pour the final mixture into it.
- Wrap the mixture up within the cheesecloth by folding its ends over it and place it on a wire rack, which in turn is positioned on top of a shallow dish.
- Top it up with few weights and leave in the fridge overnight, discarding the accumulating liquid in the dish at intervals.
- Remove the pashka from the pot and peel off the cheesecloth.
- Sprinkle more almonds as well as candied fruits on top and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons