Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 2 hours
Ingredients needed to make Kutya:
- 1 lb walnuts, shelled
- 1 lb wheat berries
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dried apricots
- 1 vanilla bean, grated
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Cooking instructions for Kutya:
- Place the wheat berries in a pan and pour in enough water so that it stands an inch above them.
- Set aside overnight to soak.
- Place the pan with soaked, undrained wheat on the hob and bring it to a boil.
- Continue to boil gently for the next couple of hours over slow flame; pour in splashes of water in case the wheat tends to dry up.
- Drain it out into a colander and wash under running cold water.
- Drain it out again and spread it onto kitchen towels.
- Dab them with another towel to blot dry and set aside for a couple of hours or until they are completely dried.
- Tip them into a food processor and grind them into a fine powder.
- Transfer them into a bowl and toss the walnuts into the same processor.
- Grind them into a fine powder too and transfer it into the same bowl with the ground wheat.
- Empty the cups of sugar into it, followed by grated vanilla and lemon zest, apricots, poppyseeds as well as raisins and stir them all together to mix well.
- Pile them up onto a large serving platter and dust with icing sugar generously to cover completely.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons