Makes: 1 medium sized cake
Preparation time (mins): 30
Cooking time: 5-8 hours
Ingredients needed to make Pancho Cake:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ can condensed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 2 cups fresh cherries
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 1 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate ganache:
- ½ cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
Cooking instructions for Pancho Cake:
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk the sugar into 2 eggs for a couple of minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Once the mixture turns pale yellow, reduce the speed and whisk in the condensed milk, sour cream and vanilla until well combined.
- Stir the baking soda into a bowl of vinegar and drizzle it onto the above mixture.
- Add flour to the above mixture in batches while you continue to stir it until all of the former is incorporated.
- Stir them together into an uniform batter free of lumps and pour half of it into a 10’’ cake pan, lightly greased with butter.
- Dust the cocoa powder over remaining half of the mixture and give it a nice stir to mix.
- Transfer it to another pre-greased 10’’ cake pan and bake both of them in the oven for half an hour each or until the skewer comes out clean when inserted through the centre of the cake.
- To make the filling, whisk the condensed milk, sour cream and vanilla extract together and set aside.
- Slice the chocolate horizontally into two halves and chop it into 1 ½’’ squares.
- Slice the entire vanilla cakes into similar squares.
- Spread about 3 tbsp of the above whisked mixture across the intact half of the chocolate cake and top it up with crushed walnuts.
- Stir 7-8 squares into the remaining whisked filling until they soak some of the latter.
- Arrange these creamy squares across the walnut layer and top it up with more walnuts and some of the cherries.
- Repeat the layers until all the squares are used up.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and stir in butter as well cream until preperly blended.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then stuff it into a ziplock with a small hole at one of its corner.
- Pipe it over the cake irregularly until it is covered with threads of the ganache.
- Let it set in the fridge for about 5-8 hours.
- Slice and serve cold.
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons