Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Ingredients needed to make Blueberry Blintzes:
For the crepes:
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp whole milk
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scrap out the seeds
For the sauce:
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
Cooking instructions for Blueberry Blintzes:
- To make the crepe batter, crack the eggs in a medium bowl, along with milk, 2 tbsp melted butter and ½ cup of water.
- Whisk them all together until well combined and set aside.
- Toss the flour and salt together and sift the mixture into the egg mixture.
- Fold it into the mixture and eat them together to form a uniform, smooth batter; set aside.
- To make the sauce, add a knob of butter into a saucepan and heat until it melts.
- Dump the blueberries into it, along with the sugar, cornstarch as well as a splash of lemon juice and heat it over moderately low flame until it starts boiling gently.
- Lower the heat and bring it to a simmer, while stirring often, until the berries soften and break down to ooze out juices; this will take about 10 minutes.
- For the filling, pulse the cream and cottage cheese, vanilla seeds and sugar in a food processor to form a smooth puree.
- Fold in the blueberries and set aside.
- To make the crepes, whisk the oil and 3 tbsp of the melted butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat an 8’’ skillet over moderate heat and grease with a lashing of the butter-oil blend.
- Empty ¼ cup of the batter and spread it into a medium circle.
- Cook one side for about a minute or two, until it browns lightly.
- Flip it over and cool the other side in a similar fashion.
- Place it on a clean working surface and make the other crepes in a similar fashion, using rest of the batter.
- Spoon a couple of tbsp of the filling lengthwise, along one side of the crepe and fold the other side over the stuffing, tucking the sides in to make a cylinder.
- Place it in a plate, with the seam side facing down and stuff rest of the crepes similarly.
- Pour rest of the butter-oil blend into a separate pan and heat it over moderate flame.
- Fry one side of the crepes in batches for a couple of minutes before flipping it over to fry the other sides for another 2 minutes or until it turns crispy golden brown.
- Place a couple of fried crepes into each serving plate and drizzle the prepared, warm sauce over it.
- Dust the icing sugar over each serving and serve.
image credit: Wikimedia Commons