Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Zemlovka:
- ½ large bread loaf
- 3 apples
- 3 ½ fl oz cold tea
- 14 fl oz ful-fat milk
- 2 ½ oz raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ oz soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar crystals
- 1 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Freshly squeezed out lemon juice, as required
- 4 ½ oz unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
Cooking instructions for Zemlovka:
- Pour the cold tea in a small bowl and throw in the raisins; soak them for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, peel off the skin from the apples, core and slice them finely.
- Place the apple slices in a bowl and soak them in a splash of fresh lemon juice.
- Grease the sides and base of a baking dish with a small knob of butter and warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill a saucepan with milk and add a dollop of butter into it.
- Heat the mixture until the butter melts and the milk heats up; make a point to prevent the milk from boiling.
- Remove from heat and set aside until the milk cools down a bit.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk them thoroughly, along with sugar, a dash each of spices and a splash of vanilla extract, until they blend properly.
- Drizzle it into the lukewarm, buttery milk, and whisk them all together until well combined.
- Rip the bread into coarse chunks and scatter them across the buttered baking dish.
- Drain the raisins out and spread them across the bread layer and top it up with apple slices.
- Smother them fruits with a lashing of the egg-milk mixture and finish it off with a sprinkling of brown sugar crystals.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for about half an hour or until the surface sets and turn golden brown in colour.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Slice and serve alongside a dollop of ice cream or sour cream.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons