Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: Less than 5 mins
Ingredients needed to make Injeolmi Rice Cake:
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp water
- ½ cup Roasted soybean powder or konggaru
- 1 tbsp mugwort powder or ssukgaru
Cooking instructions for Injeolmi Rice Cake:
- For the konggaru injeolmi, empty a cup of rice flour into a bowl, along with sugar, salt as well as water into it and stir them all together until well combined.
- Wrap the surface of the bowl with a cling film and cook the mixture at microwave for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the cling film and beat the hot rice dough for about half a minute, using wooden spoon and place the cling film back on.
- Cook further for another minute in the microwave oven and spoon it into a mortar.
- Pulse the mixture for a minute, pounding it with the pestle for at least 50 times, until bubbles begins to pop and the rice dough becomes elastic and chewy.
- For the konggaru injeolmi, sprinkle the konggarru across your working surface and place half of the pounded rice dough onto it.
- Roll it over the powder to coat them lightly, yet evenly with it and slice them into bite-sized chunks.
- Roll each chunk back across the powder and arrange them on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle the mugwort powder into rest of the dough, along with a splash of water and blend them into the mixture until well combined.
- Roll this dough across remaining roasted soybean powder and shake off any excess.
- Arrange them on the same serving plate and dust both the variations of injeolmi with powdered sugar.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons