Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Mont Blanc:
- 7 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 jars (14.8 oz) jars roasted chestnuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ tsp fennel seeds, ground
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp Cognac
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
Cooking instructions for Mont Blanc:
- Empty the jars of roasted chestnuts into a medium saucepan and sprinkle a pinch of salt, ground fennel seeds as well as sugar into it.
- Pour in milk, stir to mix well and heat the mixture over moderate flame until it starts simmering.
- Lower the heat slightly and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring regularly and breaking it down with the spatula, until the milk is completely absorbed.
- Place the chocolate chunks into the upper bowl of a double boiler and heat until it melts completely into a thick, glossy mixture; set aside.
- Pass the cooked chestnuts through a potato ricer, fitted with a medium disc and place it into a large bowl.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and add a splash of Cognac into it.
- Stir them all together until they blend together into a uniform mixture, resembling the consistency of a cookie dough and spoon it into a medium bowl.
- Wrap the surface with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight or at least for an hour.
- To serve, pour the cream in a bowl and add a splash of vanilla extract as well as powdered sugar into it.
- Whisk them thoroughly using an electric mixer until they form soft, moist peaks.
- Pass the chestnut dough through the rice once again and pile it up onto the centre of a large serving platter.
- Add a large dollop of half of the whipped cream onto the piled chestnut mixture and serve alongside a bowl of remaining whipped cream.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons