Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: –
Ingredients needed to make Almond Semifreddo:
For the praline:
- 3 oz granulated sugar
- 4 ½ oz almonds, blanched
- Olive oil, for greasing
For the semifreddo:
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 1 pint double cream
- 1 tbsp cherry syrup
- 3 ½ oz icing sugar, sifted
Cooking instructions for Almond Semifreddo:
- To make the praline, throw in the almonds into a dry hot skillet and toast for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in sugar and continue to cook until it melts and the syrup turns golden brown.
- Grease a baking sheet with a lashing of oil and tip the almond-sugar mixture into it.
- Spread it swiftly across the sheet and set aside until it cools and sets.
- Break the praline into smaller bits and toss them into a blender.
- Blitz them until they grind into finer crumbs with few coarse chunks and set aside.
- To make the semifreddo, pour the cream into the canister of a stand mixer and whisk thoroughly until it thickens.
- Add the egg yolks into the whipped cream, followed by an oz of icing sugar and beat further until they blend together to form a smooth, pale mixture.
- Place the eggs in a separate bowl and beat them rigorously until they form stiff yet moist peaks.
- Stir in remaining icing sugar and continue to eat until the mixture forms stiffer, dry peaks.
- Drizzle the whisked egg yolk mixture into the egg whites and fold them together until well combined.
- Sprinkle the praline crumbs into it, along with cherry syrup as well as a splash of vodka and stir them all together until mixed thoroughly.
- Spread a cling films across the base of a small loaf tin and spoon in the above mixture.
- Smooth out the surface, using a spatula and place another cling film on top, so that it touches the cream mixture.
- Leave it in the freezer overnight until it sets.
- Before serving, take them out of the fridge and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around the edges of the semifreddo to loosen it up and invert it onto a serving plate.
- Slice and serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons