Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Panettone Bread Pudding:
- 1 loaf panettone, halved
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- ¼ cup rum
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Vegetable oil, as required
- Dash of ground cinnamon, for serving
Cooking instructions for Panettone Bread Pudding:
- Warm up your oven to 475 degrees F and boil water in a kettle at the same time.
- Slice out the side crusts of one half of the bread and chop it into 1’’ cubes; place them in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- To make the eggnog custard, crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk them thoroughly, along with the egg yolks, half and half, vanilla extract and a splash of rum until well combines.
- Stir in a dash of grated nutmeg to mix well and drizzle the mixture over the diced bread.
- Grease the sides and bases of a 12 hole muffin mold with a small lashing of oil and pour portions of the above mixture into each hole, leaving ¼ of it unfilled to allow space for the pudding to expand.
- Level out the surface with few bread cubes sticking out and place it within a roasting pan.
- Fill the pan with the boiling water from the kettle and bake the bread pudding for about 20 minutes or until their surface browns as well as puffs up and a toothpick comes out spotless when inserted into it, thus indicating that the pudding is baked through.
- Take it out of the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes to cool it to some extent.
- Remove the pudding from the mold carefully onto serving plates and sprinkle a dash of ground cinnamon over each serving.
- Serve warm alongside whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, though they taste equally well if serve cold.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons