Makes: 4 loaves
Preparation time: 2-3 days
Cooking time: 45 mins
Ingredients needed to make Stollen:
- ½ cup rye flour
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour, divided
- 2 ¼ tsp dry active yeast
- ½ cup + 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup warm milk
- 1 ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 cup almonds, sliced
- 2/3 cup raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Cooking instructions for Stollen:
- Toss the dried fruits together in a small bowl and add a splash of orange juice to it; set aside for an hour to soak.
- Soak the almonds in water, in a separate bowl and set aside for an hour.
- Stir the yeast into warm milk until mixed well and fold in a cup of all purpose flour until well combined; set aside for an hour in a warm place.
- Place rest of the all purpose flour in a large mixing bowl, along with the rye flour, ½ cup sugar, orange zest, ground spices and a dash of salt.
- Stir them all together until they are mixed thoroughly and add a splash of vanilla extract into it.
- Drizzle a cup of melted butter over the above mixture, followed by a splash of honey as well as egg yolk and beat the thoroughly into a smooth blend.
- Pour 1/3 of the yeast-flour mixture into the batter at intervals while folding it into the mixture after each addition.
- Continue to whisk the mixture for another 4 minutes or until it smooth out.
- Drain the soaked dried fruits as well as almonds into the dough, followed by the candied ginger and fold them into the dough until distributed uniformly throughout the mixture.
- Knead the dough on a lightly-floured working counter for a minute and wrap it up in a kitchen towel.
- Let it stand for an hour in a warm place until it rises up and punch it with your knuckles to deflate.
- Wrap it back again and set aside for another hour to let it rise again to double its size.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Split the dough into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into an oval-shaped loaf.
- Place them on the baking sheet and spread a kitchen towel on top to cover; let it rest for yet another hour.
- Meanwhile, warm up your oven to 350 degrees F and bake the fruit bread for about 45 minutes or until they turn dark brown in colour.
- Remove the breads from the oven and paint their surface with rest of the melted butter.
- Let it stand to allow the butter to seep into the breads and dust with powdered sugar.
- Wrap each bread with a plastic sheet and let it mature for a couple of days.
- Slice and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons