Yields: 15 panna cottas
Preparation time: over 2 hours
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Truffle Panna Cotta with Fruit Salsa:
For the panna cotta:
- 1 litre + 1 tbsp cream
- 25 g black truffle, peeled and finely chopped
- 135 gm sugar
- 1 leaf unflavoured gelatin
For the reduction:
- 10 g black truffles, finely ground
- 150 gm sugar
- 300 ml Shiraz
For the salsa:
- 2 Beurre Bosc pears
- 2 Green Star apples
Cooking instructions for Truffle Panna Cotta with Fruit Salsa:
- To make the panna cotta, pour the cream into a medium saucepan and stir in the sugar.
- Heat over moderately high flame until it starts boiling and turn off the heat right away.
- Stir in the chopped truffle and place a tight-fitting lid on top.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes to allow the truffle infuse its flavours into the sweetened cream mixture.
- Meanwhile place the gelatin leaf in a bowl and pour in cold water to soak until it softens.
- Whisk it into the hot mixture until it dissolves and blends well with the mixture.
- Pour it into plastic ramekins and wrap the surface with a cling film, so that it touches the surface of the infusion; leave in the fridge until set.
- To make the reduction, pour the Shiraz in a clean saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Flambe until the alcohol is cooked off and stir in the sugar.
- Cook, while stirring regularly, until the sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens considerably.
- Stir in the ground truffles until well mixed and bring it a boil.
- Continue to do so for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow to cool completely and pour it in the jar to store until necessary.
- To prepare the fruit salsa, peel, core and chop the apples into small dices.
- Process the pears in a similar fashion and toss both the fruit chunks into a bowl.
- Sprinkle chopped truffles over them, along with a dash of sugar and toss them well together until well mixed.
- Wrap the surface of the bowl with a cling film and leave in the fridge to chill.
- Place the panna cotta ramekins briefly into a shallow dish with hot water and loosen the pudding and flip each ramekin onto a serving plate.
- Spoon the fruit salsa on top of each serving and finish it off with a lashing of prepared reduction over them.
- Serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons