Makes: 30 wontons
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Crunchy Chocolate Wontons:
- 30 wonton wrappers, each 2 ½ ‘’ wide
- 3 quarts peanut oil
- 3 ox bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Water, for moistening the wonton
Cooking instructions for Crunchy Chocolate Wontons:
- Spread the wonton wrappers across the working surface, 6 at a time.
- Spoon ½ tsp of the chocolate bits at the middle of the upper half of each wonton, facing towards the top, while leaving a ½’’ border around the edge.
- Paint the top right and left edges of the wrapper with small amount of water and fold the bottom half of the wrapper over the filling to form a triangle.
- Pinch the open ends firmly to seal, while squeezing out any air trapped inside the wonton.
- Make rest of the wontons in a similar fashion and arrange them on a plate, lined earlier with a kitchen towel.
- Place a moist paper towel on top and set aside.
- Toss the sugar and Chinese five spice powder together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a heavy-bottomed pot until it stands about a couple of inches from the base and heat it over moderate heat to 350 degrees F.
- Drop the wontons carefully into the hot oil and fry them for about 45 seconds or until they turn crispy golden brown, while flipping them over with tongs from time to time.
- Drain them out with the help of slotted spoon, into a bowl, lined with paper towel to soak away any excess grease.
- Dust the wontons with the spiced up sugar and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons