Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Ingredients needed to make Drunken Prune-Mascarpone Trifle:
For the prunes:
- 60 prunes, pitted
- 1 vanilla bean, split longitudinally, seeds scraped out, pod reserved
- 1 ½ cups tawny port
- 2 ¼ cups dry red wine
- Two 3’’ cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 pound cake, without glaze
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream, cold
- ¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 medium lemon, finely grated
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
Cooking instructions for Drunken Prune-Mascarpone Trifle:
- For the prunes, dump all its ingredients into a large, heavy-based saucepan and heat them over moderately high flame, while stirring regularly, until the mixture starts boiling.
- Cook until the sugar melts and lower the flame to moderately low to continue boiling the mixture gently for next 45 minutes or until it reduces to half its original volume and forms a thick syrup.
- Remove from heat and set aside for an hour to cool; throw away the cinnamon sticks.
- To assemble, whisk the mascarpone cheese and cream together with an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, at low speed, until blended thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the lemon zest as well as sugar and continue to whisk at moderate speed for 2 minutes or until they are fully incorporated and form soft peaks.
- Tip the cooled drunken prawns into a colander to drain and transfer them to a chopping board.
- Chop them into coarse chunks and toss them back into the bowl with the strained syrup.
- Trim off the ends of the pound cake and cut it into eight 1’’ thick slices.
- Arrange 4 of them fat into a large trifle dish (3 quart) and use the trimmed chunks to fill up any gaps between them to smooth out the layer.
- Scatter half of the chopped prunes on top, along with the syrup and spread half of the whipped cream-cheese mixture on top in an even layer.
- Top it up with ½ of the sliced almonds and repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons