Preparation time: 30 mins + 2 hours (inactive)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Arctic Rolls:
For the sponge:
- 4 oz self raising flour
- 1 pint 7 fl oz vanilla ice cream, softened
- 4 oz caster sugar, plus more for dusting
- 4 eggs
For the strawberry jam:
- 13 oz strawberries, quartered
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 5 oz caster sugar
Cooking instructions for Arctic Rolls:
- To make the sponge cake, place the ice cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat it thoroughly until it loosens up and softens.
- Stuff it into a long piping bag and leave it in the freezer for 3-4 hours or until they solidify again.
- Warm up your oven to 375 degrees f and spread a sheet of parchment paper onto a 9’’x13’’ swiss roll pan.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and add the sugar into it.
- Whisk them together until they blend together to form a light, fluffy yet thick mixture.
- Sift the flour into the bowl with the egg mixture and fold them together until they blend into a uniform batter, free of lumps.
- Tip the batter into the prepared pan and level its surface with a rubber spatula.
- Bake it in the hot oven for 10 minutes, or until they are just baked through.
- Take a sheet of parchment paper, slightly wider than the pan with sponge cake, and spread it across a working surface.
- Sprinkle fair amount of caster sugar over it to spread evenly.
- Flip the sponge cake onto the prepared parchment paper and remove the first parchment paper from its base; allow to cool to some extent.
- Meanwhile, to make the strawberry jam, warm up a skillet over medium-high flame and sprinkle the sugar into it.
- Scatter the lemon zest over it and add a splash of lemon juice.
- Stir them all together and cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves completely and blends into the mixture to form a thick caramel.
- Dump the strawberries into a food processor and blitz them briefly to chop them into irregular chunks.
- Toss the strawberry chunks into the pan, give it a nice stir to coat well and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the strawberries turn mushy and forms a thick mixture.
- Turn off the heat and set them aside to cool completely.
- Spread this jam all over the sponge, leaving an inch border along the sides.
- Remove the piping bag from the freeze and dip them in a bowl with hot water to loosen it up.
- Remove the ice cream cylinder from the bag and place it along one side of the sponge.
- Place a clean sheet of parchment paper below the sponge and use it to roll the sponge into a tight cylinder.
- Remove the parchment paper from the rolled sponge and carve out thick slices.
- Serve and have fun!
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons