Makes: 12 cupcakes
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients needed to make coffee cupcakes:
For the streusal:
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the cupcake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp almond extract
Cooking instructions for coffee cupcakes:
- Warm up your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the brown sugar with salt as well as cinnamon and pour in the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top and stir them well together with a fork until the ingredients are evenly distributed and well coated with butter; set aside for using it later as a topping.
- Stir in a dash of salt as well as baking powder into the flour and sift the mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Place the diced butter into a separate mixing bowl and whisk them thoroughly with an electric mixer at low speed for a couple of minutes before reducing it to low and continue to cream it for another minute or until the butter becomes fluffy and light.
- Sprinkle the sugar into the butter at batches while you continue to beat the mixture for a couple of minutes more; increase the speed from time to time and scrap off any leftovers from the sides of the bowl at intervals.
- Once the colour of the mixture becomes a shade or two lighter and sugar dissolves completely into the butter cream, crack the eggs in them and pour in the sour cream.
- Add the almond extract and beat them further into a uniform mixture.
- Fold in the sifted dry mixture and combine them together until properly blended; avoid overmixing.
- Place the paper liners into the cupcake molds and fill half of each mold with the cupcake batter; it can be done with an icecream scoop.
- Top each of the serving with 1 ½ tsp of the streusal and cover it with another scoop of the batter.
- Sprinkle some more streusal on top of each cupcake and bake them in the oven for half an hour or until the skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and serve with steaming cup of coffee or cocoa.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons