Yields: 12 muffins
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Sour Cream Apple Muffins:
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
Cooking instructions for Sour Cream Apple Muffins:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin mold with a knob of softened butter and place a paper liner within each hole or cup.
- Empty the cups of granulated and dark brown sugar into a medium mixing bowl and drizzle oil into it in a steady stream while beating them together until both kinds of sugar dissolves.
- Crack the eggs into it and beat them into the mixture until well combined into pale yellow mixture.
- Place the flour in a separate bowl and stir in the baking soda and a dash each of ground cinnamon as well as salt.
- Empty the cup of sour cream in another bowl and whip it thoroughly, along with apple cider and a splash of vanilla extract until they are mixed thoroughly.
- Fold in 1/3 of the dry mixture into the sugar-egg blend, alternating with 1/3 cup of the cider-cream mixture, while beating them into the mixture after every addition until well combined.
- Repeat the process until all of it is used up and incorporated into the mixture to form a smooth, uniform batter.
- Grate the cored apple finely and drain out the juice through a fine mesh sieve.
- Fold the grated apple into the batter until it is distributed evenly throughout the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin cups, leaving ¼ of it unfilled.
- Sprinkle some Demerara sugar flakes on top of each batter and bake in the oven for half an hour.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the mold and continue to cool to room temperature, on the wire rack.
- Store them in an airtight container for as long as 3 days or chomp on them immediately.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons