Yields: 12 muffins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Ingredients needed to make Rhubarb Muffins:
For the streusel:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and chopped into small cubes
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
For the muffins:
- 1 ½ cups rhubarb, small diced
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Cooking instructions for Rhubarb Muffins:
- For the streusel, Place the flour in a medium bowl and stir in sugar, salt and ground cardamom until well combined.
- Throw in the butter cubes and work them together with your hands, while rubbing the butter between your fingers until they blend together into a flaky mixture.
- Leave in the fridge, covered until the muffins are ready to serve.
- To make the muffins, warm up your oven to 375 degrees F while positioning the rack midway within that oven.
- Grease a 12-well muffin tin with small knob of butter and place a paper liner within each well.
- Toss the rhubarb chunks into a medium bowl and sprinkle ¼ cup of sugar into it.
- Toss them together to coat well and set aside for 5 minutes or until the juice oozed out of the rhubarb.
- Place the flour in a large bowl and stir in baking powder as well as soda, ground cardamom as well as a dash of salt until well combined.
- Empty the cup of Greek yogurt into another medium bowl and pour in the melted butter as well as vanilla extract into it.
- Crack the egg into it and add rest of the sugar into the mixture.
- Whisk them thoroughly, using an electric mixer, until mixed thoroughly into a uniform mixture and pour it into the dry mixture.
- Fold them together until well combined and stir in the sugar-coated rhubarbs until they are distributed evenly throughout the mixture.
- Stir the mixture, giving about 10-15 strokes and pour ¼ cup of the batter into each lined well.
- Sprinkle small portions of the streusel on top the batter in each well and bake for 25 minutes or until the muffins are baked through.
- Cool them on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and remove them from the wells.
- Serve at room temperature.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons