Makes: one 9’’ pie
Preparation time: 25 mins + 1 hr 20 mins (inactive time)
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pumpkin and Pecan Pie:
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ stick unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp frozen vegetable shortening, chopped into two cubes
- ¾ tsp salt
For the pumpkin filling:
- 1 can pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp dark rum
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
For the pecan filling:
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Cooking instructions for Pumpkin and Pecan Pie:
- To make the crust, place the flour into a food processor and stir in sugar and a dash of salt.
- Process them until well combined and plop the shortening as well as butter cubes in it.
- Continue to pulse, while splashing ice water at times, until the ingredients gather to form a smooth dough.
- Transfer it to a lightly-floured working counter and knead briefly to make it more pliable.
- Wrap it up in a cling film and leave in the fridge for an hour.
- To make the pumpkin filling, toss all its ingredients into a food processor and pulse into a smooth, uniform mixture; set aside.
- To make the pecan filling, toss all its ingredients, except pecans, into a medium mixing bowl and whisk them thoroughly into a smooth, properly blended mixture; set aside.
- Warm up your oven to 450 degrees F and return the dough to the floured working surface.
- Roll it out into a flat, 12’’ wide circle and leave it again in the fridge for another 20 minutes to make it firmer.
- Spread the dough across a pre-greased 9’’ pie plate and trim off any excess dough hanging from edges.
- Pinch along the edges to make decorative patterns and spread the pumpkin filling evenly across its base.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top and top it up with the pecan filling.
- Bake it for about 10-12 minutes and then lower the temperature setting of the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Continue to bake for another half an hour or until it puffs up and is baked through.
- Cool it on a wire rack and serve at room temperature.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons